TOWN OF MARCY, NY - 175th Anniversary of Founding - (PUT005) $3
Photo inlaid pin issued in 2007 to commemorate the 175th Anniversary of the Town of Marcy, NY. Photo shows Lock 20 and the Canal Park in Marcy with white lettering above "Town of Marcy, NY" and below "1832 - 175th Anniversary - 2007". The back has a single spike with metal butterfly clutch and black repeated imprint "1-877-PINMART".
Pin measures approximately 1.25" by 0.75". Designed by Bill Cochran.
Although white pioneers settled in the area as early as 1773, it was part of the Town of Deerfield until March 30, 1832. The Town's history was greatly influenced by the building of canals. The Neck Canal of 1730, listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, was the first man made canal along the winding Mohawk River. Today, Marcy is the site of Lock 20 and the Canal Park on the path of the Erie Canal. During the American Revolution, the settlers were warned by friendly Mohawk Indians of an impending attack by British forces and their allies. The flight of the settlers to safety was part of the book and film "Drums Along the Mohawk".